Skip to main content

Really Good Friends

Do you have those friends that seem to know when you need a pick-me-up even if they're hundreds of miles away? Those are my favorite types of people. It makes my day when someone from school shoots me a text checking in or a long-winded squeaky voice snapchat video updating me on their day. (A personal favorite form of communication for my friend group)

Going to school away from home means making friends from across the country and leaving them periodically throughout the year. It also means people eventually graduate and move away. But the best kinds of people are those who don't dwell on that and still check in every now and then.

When I left for college my freshman year, I was confident that I would stay close with all of my high school best friends. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I keep in touch with many of them but am only close with a couple now, three years later. At first, I was upset by this and saddened that I was losing friends from that part of my life, but as I went through more and more of college, I realized that the people I should want to be friends with are the ones who want to be your friend. That probably makes no sense, so I'll explain it more. In college, there is so much going on all the time. There seems to be constant "drama" about something, i.e. classes, people's relationships, family, creating plans etc. It takes a lot of energy to get through it all and it can be exhausting.

I think it's important to have friends that don't suck more energy from you. They should motivate you and push you to do your best, without requiring a lot from you. Of course, you should be doing the same for them, motivating them and checking in to make sure they're doing okay.

These are the types of people you should want to be friends with, and the type of friend I strive to be. It can be difficult to remember to check in with them when your life is going at 100 miles a minute, but I try and remember how happy I was when they text me and do the same for them. During these especially unknown times in our lives with grad school, moving, applying for jobs and more, it's so important to have a group of friends that support you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Light Glasses

I'm not sure if it's the 10 hours + a day I spend on the computer, or the extra 5 I spend on my phone, but my eyes have been tired recently. This was enough for me to look into blue light glasses and purchase a pair. Blue Light is the light from your computer that can strain your eyes and cause trouble falling and staying asleep. I purchased an  inexpensive pair  just to try them out, and so far I'm really enjoying them. I've forgotten to throw them in my bag a couple of times, and now always wish I had them because I've noticed a significant difference in how tired my eyes feel by two or three pm. So I want to know, have you tried blue light blocking glasses? If so which ones do you have and what do you think of them?

3 Little Things that Help My Anxiety

I've posted a couple of times on here about how I struggle daily with anxiety. Recently some people in my life have been asking me what I do when I feel anxious and how I can combat it, so I thought I would share three things that I do that help me out. 1. Deep Breathing. This helps me out the most when I'm flying. I'm a fairly nervous flyer, for no particular reason other than I tend to dramatize every little thing (every *ding* over the speaker, every turn or dip the plane takes, etc.). Whenever we're taking off or landing, I try and breathe really slowly and deeply so that my body stays relaxed. My old Fitbit  had a guided deep breathing exercise that I would use sometimes. I try to focus as much as I can on my breathing so that I don't think about anything else. And I know this will sound weird, but on my short flights to and from Chicago (45 minutes) I will listen to the same song on repeat the whole flight. One of my go-to's for this is Cough Syrup b...

5 random facts about me

Since I'm just starting out on this blog, I thought I would share 5 super random facts about me! You can learn more on my " about me " page, but I thought five random facts would be a fun way to introduce myself today. I'm a huge Chicago Blackhawks fan, and pride myself in being pretty knowledgable when it comes to Hockey as a sport. However, when it comes to other sports, I'd like to say I have a basic knowledge or understanding of the rules, but I may be giving myself too much credit in saying even that. The only country I've traveled to outside of the United States in Canada, but I love visiting there! I have family outside of Toronto, and have also visited Niagra Falls. It's one of my goals in the next few years to slowly explore more of the country with my family. In case you couldn't tell by my first two facts, my house is a total Winter Sport house (Can't wait for the Winter Olympics to begin next week!). We love to ski, snowm...