Skip to main content

Really Good Friends

Do you have those friends that seem to know when you need a pick-me-up even if they're hundreds of miles away? Those are my favorite types of people. It makes my day when someone from school shoots me a text checking in or a long-winded squeaky voice snapchat video updating me on their day. (A personal favorite form of communication for my friend group)

Going to school away from home means making friends from across the country and leaving them periodically throughout the year. It also means people eventually graduate and move away. But the best kinds of people are those who don't dwell on that and still check in every now and then.

When I left for college my freshman year, I was confident that I would stay close with all of my high school best friends. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I keep in touch with many of them but am only close with a couple now, three years later. At first, I was upset by this and saddened that I was losing friends from that part of my life, but as I went through more and more of college, I realized that the people I should want to be friends with are the ones who want to be your friend. That probably makes no sense, so I'll explain it more. In college, there is so much going on all the time. There seems to be constant "drama" about something, i.e. classes, people's relationships, family, creating plans etc. It takes a lot of energy to get through it all and it can be exhausting.

I think it's important to have friends that don't suck more energy from you. They should motivate you and push you to do your best, without requiring a lot from you. Of course, you should be doing the same for them, motivating them and checking in to make sure they're doing okay.

These are the types of people you should want to be friends with, and the type of friend I strive to be. It can be difficult to remember to check in with them when your life is going at 100 miles a minute, but I try and remember how happy I was when they text me and do the same for them. During these especially unknown times in our lives with grad school, moving, applying for jobs and more, it's so important to have a group of friends that support you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

International Women's Day

Happy International Women's Day to all my fellow ladies. We work so hard every day to live great lives, and are working even harder to improve the lives of those in the future. What an amazing time to be a woman. I mean seriously, in my short lifetime, I've never experienced so much pride in being female. There are so many amazing role models right now for little girls (and big girls) to look up to. It really makes me feel like something big is coming.  Let's all be a part of the change and stand up for what is right every day, and hold up those around us! Compliment the random girl in your philosophy class, like the girl's selfie on Instagram, write a note to your friend when you know she's feeling rough! We deserve greatness and equity, and together we can achieve it! Be sure to hug all of your favorite lady friends extra tight today. As Leslie Knope would say "Uteruses before duderuses!"

reading in 2018

I have quite a few goals for myself in 2018, but one of the major ones is to read more. Last year I had set a goal to read 20 books, and read only about 12. I spend a lot of time looking at screens, whether it be my phone, laptop, or TV. When I was younger, I was a total bookworm. My favorite part of the day was independent reading, and I constantly used to get in trouble for reading books under my desk during class. I got a Kindle for my 14th birthday and you probably would have thought I had gotten a car for how excited I was. that kindle lasted me a few year until the screen broke, and last spring I finally purchased a new Kindle . I purchased the kindle right before I started a series of trips home last spring, as I would be able to read and watch shows while on my flights. Although the Kindle was fairly inexpensive, it has served me very well over the past year. (Tip: I've found that if you leave it in Airplane mode, the battery lasts for days!) I can do a whole review on my

Two Weeks Until Milwaukee

It's hard to believe that in just two shorts weeks, I will be moving into my new apartment in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It's even harder to believe because I will be on vacation for most of those 2 weeks! There is so much to be done and to prepare for in what feels like so little time. As much as there is to do, I don't think that I have been this excited for something in a long time. I keep telling people I feel like it's the week leading up to Christmas. At the risk of sounding melodramatic, this is what I feel like the last ten years of my life have been building to. My earliest memories of seriously considering becoming a lawyer come from middle school, and now here I am, a mere three weeks away from my first class. It's hard to express all of the different emotions I'm feeling regarding this move. I'm sad, of course, to be moving out of my childhood home for what very well may be the last time. I'm excited at the thought of moving to a new city to p